1 of or relating to metamorphosis (especially of rocks); "metamorphic stage"; "marble is a metamorphic rock that takes a high polish" [syn: metamorphous]
2 characterized by metamorphosis or change in physical form or substance [ant: nonmetamorphic]
- Rhymes with: -ɔː(r)fɪk
- Having been structurally altered as a result of, or resulting from, exposure to intense heat &/or pressure (at the contact zone between colliding plates, for example).
- A rock that has been changed from its original form by subjection to heat and/or pressure.
The term Metamorphic can be associated with a number of meanings:
- Metamorphic rock: The term for rocks that have been transformed by extreme heat and pressure.
- Metamorphic Technique is a form of massage used in complementary and alternative medicine.
- Metamorphic code is a programming technique used to disguise code in computer viruses.
- Metamorphic library steps are a piece of 18th century folding furniture.
metamorphic in Simple English: Metamorphic
able to adapt, adaptable, adjustable, allotropic, alterable, alterative, anabolic, catabolic, catalytic, changeable, checkered, diversiform, ever-changing, flexible, fluid, heteromorphic, heteromorphous, impermanent, kaleidoscopic, malleable, manifold, many-sided, metabolic, metamorphotic, metastatic, mobile, modifiable, movable, multifarious, multifold, multiform, multiphase, multiple, multiplex, mutable, nonuniform, permutable, plastic, polymorphic, polymorphous, protean, proteiform, resilient, rubbery, supple, transient, transitory, variable